Sunday, July 17, 2011

Suman SNG Reply

Suman is my first kid and I sent him a SNG as soon as I learnt about the SNG. All I had to do was call CI and they processed it while I was on call... I must say that this was my first SNG. Let me tell you how the SNG works. You can call up CI and ask them for a SNG report and then based on the report you can decide how much you would wanna give. But this would also mean a trip to the family from the CI (which has its own cost) and 6 weeks to get the report back to you. Otherwise, you can just donate the amount to CI directly and tell them to check out the needs of the family. This is faster because they have the money to spend while inquiring the needs. There is no lag in time. You have an option to tell the CI representative what to get, or you can let the family decide what they would wanna do with the money. Any amount above 100$ would get you a reply with photos. Also donations above 100$ would mean it is dispatched immediately and it reaches the family in 2 weeks. I donated more than 100$ and let the family decide what they wanted to do with it.
I got some super cool super smiling photos of him with the SNG report... I loved all the photos. He has such a genuine smile... :). The SNG amount was not that high. But it was another example of how much deep a dollar reaches in India :). The following items were bought as part of the SNG - Rice, Pulses, flour, cooking oil, Sugar, Detergent powder, Biscuits, Health Drink, Tea, Book of rhymes, Coloring book, Bed covers, pillow covers and pillows. And his wide smile reminds me so much of one my own photo when I was a kid showing all my teeth smiling wide :)
I believe that would be his mom and his beautiful sister. I had already inquired and was told that she is also sponsored. One queer thing about the report was the response. While the first CW letter was written by Suman, this was written by his dad. The reason given was that he was not old enough to write. I really wonder how he wrote his first letter and cant write the second one. Of course some forum members have explained that the first letter might have been bad or he might have struggled. So they might have asked his dad to write it. The message was there. I don't care who writes the letter (maybe I do :P ) as long as the kid is happy. Here is what was given in the letter...
Dear Sponsor,
I hope you are well. We all are fine. My son Suman cannot write so I am writing on his behalf. With your financial help, we have purchased large supplies of rice, pulses, flour, cooking oil, sugar, biscuits, health drink, packs of tea, detergent powder, bed covers, pillow covers, pillows and plastic bucket. My son is very happy to receive a coloring book and a book of rhymes. My family and I are grateful to you for the useful gifts and I thank you for the same. I end with regards to you.
Yours,
Suman's father on Behalf of Suman

And I would still stick to my title for Suman, "The kid with the most amazing smile on the planet"...
~ChEeRs

No comments:

Post a Comment