Thursday, June 16, 2011

My first welcome letter! :)

Finally... After days of waiting and walking to the postbox, I finally got what I was looking for. My first welcome letter from my first kid Suman :). For those who don't know Suman, he is my first sponsored kid via CI (Children International). It generally takes about 6 weeks to get the welcome letter. And bingo, on the 6th week I got my letter. I believe Yulissa's should be coming anytime soon too. In the first page they had a little fact about India (about Bharatnatyam). In the same page there were two questions to which Suman had answered. What he would like to do on holidays and What is his favorite season?
He likes to play (cricket I guess) and watch television during his holidays and winter is his favorite season. I can understand that as the summer can sometimes be unforgiving. In the second page you have the actual letter from the kid. This may have been written by the kid or by someone in the family or even with the help of a CI representative. But somehow I get the feeling it was written by the kid. You will know when you see it yourself :)


Of course it is the handwriting that made me think it might be from the kid though my hand writing can be worse than that :). Also that I cant read Bengali makes it easier for me to assume that the handwriting is kiddish :D. CI knows I don't understand a word of it and thankfully they also give the translation. Thanks to the benefit of photography, you can see the translation too :)

For those who can't read from the pic -
"Dear Name
I hope you all are well. We are all fine. I am very happy to write to you for the first time. I study in grade 2 and I like to study Bengali. I like to play cricket. There are 8 members in our family. My family and I are very happy to know that you are my new sponsor. I thank you for sponsoring me. I end with love and regards.
Yours
Suman"


One thing I definitely like about the letter is the drawing. A nice house near by the river with trees and flowers near by. Fishers are flowing in groups. A bright sun which is crossed by birds (and I hope clouds or more birds). And a wonderfully colored flower plant near by. This is such a happy drawing and I am so happy for him after seeing this.
As much as I am happy about the letter he had written (it sounds very sweet), I was worried to find out that there are 8 people in the house. He has a sister. The family income is only $66. I really wonder how they are managing. The facilities are also not that great. They use community faucets for water and they also have to use the community latrine. I am hoping something can be done about it. I will be inquiring with CI after a coupla months as I know I will be a little tight with two girls' b'day coming up shortly. I don't wanna end the blog on a sad note.
In the original letter he had written, there was an image of a girl which says "Namaste". He had colored that too wonderfully. Somehow I get a feeling that he is really good with colors. Coz I like them at least :) God bless this child and I pray their situation soon improves for the better.

Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment