Sunday, June 12, 2011

Welcoming Sunandita!

Sunandita is my third sponsored kid. She was chosen with a purpose. While I chose Suman because I wanted to do something good and Yulissa because I liked her photo more than anything else, Sunandita was chosen entirely for a different reason. By the time I had added two kids, I was going thru the Lift One forum where all the CI donors discuss about a lot of things. One particular discussion caught my attention on how young kids get sponsored easily because they are cute and how the older ones are ignored. This kinda itched me as I just added Yulissa because she was cute. Also it was mentioned that the older kids would need more help as they would be nearing college and they are the ones in need of fund more to continue their education. That kinda got me on the chat with the wonderful Michelle from CI as they don't list the older kids on website (for a reason of course). And so you have it - Sunandita from India.

I asked for a girl from India as I know how bad women education is there. Sunandita is 17 yrs old. Luckily she is still attending school and her favorite subject is science. (Somehow I get the geeks and I like it ). Her favorite pass time is playing outdoor games (I wonder what game would that be) and she is interested in drawing. She is also a Bengali and at home she does general house work and also washes the clothes. She lives with her parents and her dad is a daily worker. She has a sweet sister, Mamata, aged 15 and wonderful brother, Subrata, aged 11. She has obviously been sponsored before as I see a lot of photos for her. Their house is pretty similar to Suman's. Two multi use rooms and a kitchen. Her house is made of brick walls. The roof is corrugated tile and it is mud floor. Luckily she sleeps in one of the three beds in her house. The saddest part is that their family income is just 38$ and the water source is community pump. The electricity is on a regulated use and thankfully atleast they have a latrine at home. I do not have more information on whether her sister and brother are sponsored. Her birthday just crossed by on May 1st and so I have sent her a SNG which is kinda belated b'day gift from me. I am hoping she can continue with her education and get better in life.
Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment