Sunday, August 7, 2011

Welcoming Kanika

And so I welcome my latest kid. Technically she is latest only for the blog. While I am writing it, already two more kids have been added :)... As you all know of the sad news about Sunandita, she had to leave the program. She had to leave the program because she got married. CI suggests you replacement kids, if any of your current kids go out of the program. Kanika was suggested by CI> I was thinking if I should sponsor her. I was having a couple of group sponsorship in my mind. But then I realised she is also of the same age as Sunandita. She is also still attending school. Here is to hoping that she goes thru with her education (even if she gets married). So without further a do - My newest kid - Kanika
Kanika is 17 yrs old. She was born on 20th of Jan. She is a Bengali and lives with her parents. Her talents are drawing (looking forward to welcome letter for sure :)) and her favorite pass time is to play with friends. She is 4" 9' tall and she does general housework at home. She is attending school which is a good thing and her favorite subject is Languages. I am not sure if it is Bengali or English. She has 3 siblings. Two younger brothers, Bikram aged 8, Karthik aged 10 and an elder sister Sathi, aged 19. Sathi is 19 and she is listed with the family. Not sure if she is studying or not. I will have to inquire and if she does, I think some help can be provided there too.
And now comes some of the sad stuffs. Even though both parents are working, the monthly income is only 74$. Her parents are daily workers. Their house has two multi-use rooms. The walls ae bamboo and the roof is tiled. It is a mud floor but luckily they have wooden beds. Will have to wait for the welcome letter to figure out how many beds are there. They have electricity and latrine. But water is from community faucets. I really believe their house needs some work. I need to check on what is possible. I am just waiting for the welcome letter with more details. I think I will start requesting reports soon. Again, I sincerely hope she is able to complete her education. And hopefully Sathi too, if she is still attending school.

~ChEeRs

No comments:

Post a Comment